Sunday 10 June 2012

SUNDAY BAKING pt.4: RHUBARB AND CRUMBLE



It's best to get the rhubarb cut and consumed, or preserved, early in summer before it grows too thick and bitter. I've been doing some pies, jams and juice the past week. Which is great as the years before I've seen most of the rhubarb go to waist as I didn't have time for any of that.

Rhubarb crumble pie is super easy to make. For a somewhat lighter option go for more fruit and less crumble. But one does not have to be super healthy all the time though, so I made mine with quite a lot of crumble. You can still do a little good by using a richer mix of flours instead of just wheat. I also added two smashed slices of Finn Crip (crispy rye bread) for a little more "roughness" in the taste. I never measure, just blend until the texture is nice and crumbly. ( I tried one version with egg whites, almond flour and coconut flakes some weeks ago which would have been quite nice would I have used sugar isntead of stevia. Here's a little hint: stevia and rhubarb do not go well together. Yuck!)

The pie is best served warm with something sweet and white (like vanilla ice cream for example), although it's pretty alright after a night in the fridge too.












(And what do I mean "Sunday baking part four"?
Well, at some point I thoguht I'd do some Sunday blog baking monthly or bi-monthly.
Turns out once a year or every 18-months was more realistic....
Previous Sunday bakery-stuff here: 1, 2, 3. But then again whatthehell as I bake on other days too anyway. More under the rather mixed Food-label.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I ask where you've bought the kitchen scale? Or is it just an old one that has been handed to you? It would look perfect in my kitchen :D My mom has a scale from 1960s but she refuses to give it to me, even though she has a newer and better one, boo! ;)

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

This one is "new" (although Ive had it for some time). Bought it at departement store Sokos; the label says "Dulton"