Friday 14 March 2014

A LITTLE HISTORY OF (MY) HAIR


Went trough some old photos of my hair(-styles) during my years of blogging. In one way I have an itch to do something about my hair, just anything new, on the other hand I feel a bit surprised every time I actually let it -the hair- out of that damn beret I tuck it into all the time. It's gotten so long almost feels a bit "new".


When I started this blog back in 2007 I was blonde, in the fourth or fifth year of bleaching my locks, but my hair was still in pretty good condition and quite long. I had my second or third round of bangs going on back then.

Which I tucked up quite often too. (It's a good thing remembering that, that it was quite easy in the end to hide the bangs, as I'm still undecided about one more round of those.)

I was working my shade towards more platinum. That's when i still had lots of hair and did lots of hairdo's.



When I had had the ultimate platinum blonde shade for about a year and a half I had also lost about half my hair, some of the hair just broke off. I started growing my bangs away.

But I got myself a set of faux clip on bangs instead!

In spring 2010 I put some think pink stripes in my hair to achieve a cotton candy look.

But then it was time to end that era and get my hair to grow back! I went darker shade by shade a few rounds as the colour didn't want to stay on bleached hair that well.

And then I had my own color back, pretty much. Here with a rolled faux bangs and one row of extensions to fill out the gap of the lost hair.

And then it was time for the one thing I had never done before but had been feeling for some time: cut it short! This was late in summer 2011; I had all the damaged hair cut off and was left with my own, new hair to grow. My friend was cutting me at that time, she cut it in a sassoon halo cut which in some aspects resembles a middy.

My hair grew a little longer but I kept it short. I had always thought short hair to be easier but it was in fact not, for me at least  -  if i didn't do anything about it it looked quite awful. And pin curling it took more time because the curls had to be made smaller than I was used to in order for the hair to get around to curl. Phew. Here modelling for Fiona Timantti.

 In certain light my hair gets rather red undertones. My hairdresser friend thought we'd try them a little stronger and gave me a light color treatment in a few shades warmer. It made my hair look rather red, but mostly in photos.

The clip on bangs ask  are the transition from blond to darker to toffee and got the name "the rat" due to that as it looked like a sad little wet rat when taking on color in a bowl.

A little before I had Dag I cut my hair the shortest it had been. Which informatively enough was three months shorter than when this pic was taken.

And after that I've only been to the hairdresser once, which was almost a year ago. Time have been busy, I've just dealt with the ends myself certain late nights with the kitchen scissors in front of the bathroom mirror, trying to figure out how it will look in the back when slightly cut from the front.

And now my hair looks like this, well, which al of you know. Like I said in the beginning of the post, I feel I mostly wear it quickly tucked into my beret (and most often use hair pieces at shows, the shows are so frequent I can't make the effort to set it before each and every one and my hair also thanks me for that) so when I do take a look at it I am quite amazed at how much it has grown and how much there is of it nowadays again.

Even though the thought of going all cotton candy with the hair, or -why didn't I come up with the idea before!?- mint green, still would be lovely those days are gone now; I will stick to my own color for the sake of my scalp and hair. I don't want ot go trough the feeling when noticing some sections suddenly were 10cm shorter ...

So, I think  the time has come to book an appointment with the hairdresser! At least for the sake of getting rid of a cm or two without trying to grow eyes in my neck to be able to do it.


5 comments:

Helen Le Caplain said...

What a journey your hair has taken! It's looked lovely regardless of it being long or short, coloured or natural.

Makes me look boring in comparison - never dyed my hair and kept it in pretty much the same style for years.

Might have to look into these clip- in bangs - where do yoy get yours from?



Ruth said...

I think this color does look better with your skin tone and it (of course) looks more natural on you :) I've dyed my hair a lot over the years - I started when I was ten! - and I'm sick of that and am also trying to get my own color back but it takes time for it to grow... I might do what you did and cut it shorter when my own color has grown long enough and then let it grow again, it's a good idea.

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Helen Le Caplain: I bought mine from a Finnish store cybershop.fi, it's real hair so it can be curled and dyed. I cut it a little in the sides. But this site here look very promising with lots of variations: http://theperfectfringe.co.uk

Ruth : I know hair does not have any nerves and can not feel but it still felt physically good to cut the coloured, worn hair off :D

Anonymous said...

Love, love the ultimate blonde platinum :)
I actually cut my hair the shortest it has ever been since my childhood, inspired by your haircut back in 2011 - I thought it suited you well.
Right now, I'm the opposite, to grow or not to grow my bangs? I've had them for years and years now, would love a change, but I'm not used to not having them. ah

maria said...

Love your blog :) You are soo good at styling your hair! I wish I was as good at it ....

---
mariaosk.com
I would love it if you would stop by <3